Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Current event "New Zealand oil spill"


New Zealand fears oil spill disaster
Aljazeera

7 october 2011


So this article talks about an oil disaster it happened in New Zealand on Wednesday last week a ship that it is stranded inside reef, and it can break in half and spill 1700 tons of oil. Lot of animals were affected by this and a lot of fishes died.  The government is doing the best to clean up the oil from the sea. They are sending helicopters to spray some chemicals around the area where the oil spilled. They said that the boat might break in half because it was taking too much weight or that it can flip over because of its weight. The rescue teams are trying to save every animal that in that area that was exposed to the oil. The oil already has spilled more than 5km long. New Zealand officials not optimistic but are preparing for the worst case scenario.

Before reading it I watched teh video and then I talk about it with my tutor. The video made me more interested in reading the text. This current event made sense to use for our report, because it was understandable, easy to read and it mostly talked about animals and what is being done to get this problem solved. All the info on the article was valid and it was credible.

I really like this article. At first I thought it would be boring but then when I saw the video I thought it would be interesting. However, I’m sad for the animals that live there, the people and for the nature. It was a really not expected situation. In the article I read that the boat was old so it is not the fault of anyone, but it is the fault of who chose the boat and decided to put so much stuff on it and knew that was old.  I wouldn’t like that this situation happens to Serbia because we already have enough pollution from the garbage and the smoke in here.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Sophia!! Best current event yet! You have the correct format and you were able to write the summary in your own words, an analysis and the reflective paragraph. :) I always hate to see any oil spill because so many animals are affected.

    ReplyDelete